Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Hogtown Stompers

I have a new favourite band as of today. They are the Hogtown Stompers, from Kickapoo (heh) Valley, Wisconsin. They are a jug band. Because these bands use the musical jug (an under-appreciated instrument), as well as banjo, mandolin, washboard and kazoo. These were apparently the 1920s equivalent of rock 'n' roll. I guess because it is good time music, and often contains subversive, tongue-in-cheek lyrics. I have been a fan of this kind of music since hearing Robert Crumb's band, the Cheap Suit Serenaders. I've downloaded the Stompers' whole demo album. As far as I can tell it's mostly covers of original jug band staples, but Come On In is probably my personal favourite, if only for the line "I'm drunk and disorderly and I don't care. If you want you can take off your underwear". Link: http://www.mwt.net/~dwh/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home